Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Gifts vis a vis Gurbani

From what little I know ... the following are Gifts mentioned in the Gurbani and repeated and repeated ... Sat, Santokh, Daya, Pyar, Nimrata, Sehaj, Sewa. Just to repeat my earlier invitation ... I again invite everyone to relate an incident from eperiences where they received or gave any of the gifts and how they felt at the time. A little life story.
For me it would have to be this recollection ... On one of the weekends, I had gone to the Homebush Markets to look for some essentials. I bought a oil heater and had to lug it all the way up the stairs by myself. Just at the last turn of the stairs, I missed my hold on the steps and fell down. In the process, the sharp edge of the oil heater made a deep gash in my lip and I started to bleed profusely and for few minutes, I passed out with darkness in front of my eyes. There were lots of people going up and down the stairs, looked at me and moved on. I remained sitting, with blood on my clothes and on the face, on the stairs. Then a young couple came by with baby in the stroller. They asked me if I was OK. I said no, I need help. The guy stayed with me while the wife went across to the Admin at the Markets and asked for help. She brought first aid with her and also arranged for ambulance to be called. They must have spent well over an hour with me, having forgotten all about their shopping that they had come for. The baby was crying but all their attention was on me. Out of all the hundreds who passed me by, I thank those three for their Gifts of Compassion, Care, Kindness and Selfless Service. I have never known their names, who they were, I still thank them for all they did. That day I learnt a little about the Gifts we can share, Gifts we can give, Gifts we can receive. Those three came and left .... leaving me to ponder on qualities of human feelings. I am of the strong feeling that its not who you are that matters but what you do.

Till next blog ... Tejinder